January 2022 – December 2022
Prof. Thayamini H. Seran, Director of CENSRAM stated the following CENSARM activities during 2022.
- Vegetable seedlings were distributed to the Community in Urani and Manchanthoduwa, Batticaloa on 26th July 2022 for promoting Home Gardening. This programme was conducted in collaboration with University Farm, Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University and Department of Agriculture (Extension). The above seedlings were raised in the polybags by staff in the University Farm for this purpose.
- Study Tour for Third Year First Semester undergraduate students (2017/2018 batch) was organized under ELTA-ELSE Faculty grant, AHEAD project for identifying the research problems related to Agriculture. The students visited to the National Aquaculture Development Authority, Batticaloa and Coconut Cultivation Board, Mylambavelli on 17th August 2022.
- Guidelines and application form were sent to the Principals of 30 Schools in the Batticaloa West zone for the School Art Competition among the Grade 6-8 Students but there was no response from them during June-July 2022. This activity was coordinated by Mrs.N.Vathshalyan under the guidance of Director/CENSARM.
- Quiz Competition in Agriculture was conducted among the Diploma Students at the Faculty of Agriculture on 9th October 2022. This activity was coordinated by Mr. G. Niroash under the direction of Director/CENSARM.
- World Food Day was celebrated on 28th of October 2022 at the Faculty of Agriculture. The certificates for the first three places in the Quiz competition were awarded to the Diploma students at the World Food Day Ceremony. She thanked Dean/Agriculture, Mr. G. Niroash and Mr. P. Pragashan for their assistance to organize this event. And also, she thanked Mrs. S. Amutheine for arranging the programme on Assessment of Nutritional status of Faculty Staff in this occasion.
- Consultative Workshop on Preparation of Conceptual Design for Aquaculture Industrial Parking Koralaipattu North-Vahari DS Division was organized by the National Aquaculture Development Authority of Sri Lanka (NAQDA), Batticaloa in collaboration with CENSARM, Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University, Sri Lanka which was conducted at the Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University on 17th of November 2022. Director of CENSARM thanked Prof. M. Pagthinathan, Dean/Agriculture and Mr. S. Ravikumar, Assistant Director-Eastern Province, Coastal Aquaculture Extension and Monitoring Unit, NAQDA, Batticaloa for their assistance to organize this Workshop.
- Batticaloa greening project was completed by the Coordinator and team members. Project report was sent by Prof. M. Pagthination, Coordinator to the funding agent (Dilmah Conservation, Colombo) in 2022.
- Training programme on Profitable Ice-Cream making was conducted on 9th of December 2022 by the Department of Animal Science in collaboration with Centre for Sustainable Agriculture and Resource Management (CENSARM) at the Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University, Sri Lanka.
January 2021- December 2021
- Technical Seminar on Crop protection techniques was conducted for the A/L students (2021/ 2022 Batches) at Kaluthavalai School on 5th of April 2021. Resource persons were Dr. (Mrs.) R. F. Niranjana, Ms S. Nishanthi and Mr G. Hariharan, Eastern University, Sri Lanka for the following topics.
- Eco-friendly Management of Insect Pests and Diseases of Economically Important Crops
- Identification of economically important insect pests and diseases
- Importance of Using eco-friendly pest management practices
- Impact Assessment of Greening Batticaloa project is carried under CENSARM from March 2021. This project is coordinated by Dr M. Pagthinathan, Dean/Agriculture and it is funded by the Dilmah Conservation, Colombo. The report for this project has been sent to the funding agent in December 2021.
- Poetry Competition among the Grade 09 and 10 School students in Kalkudah Zone was conducted in October 2021 to make awareness on World Food Day. The title of the Poetry is “Impact of COVID - 19 Pandemic on Food Production”. Based on the result of the poetry competition, the top ten students were ranked and it was informed to their school. Mrs N. Vathshalyan was a Coordinator for conducting School poetry completion.
- Field exposure visits to Dilmah Conservation farm and AmiRON organic farm in Kalkudah zone was organized on 25th of November 2021 for the Third Year Students (2016/2017 batch) under ELTA-ELSE Faculty grant, AHEAD project, Eastern University, Sri Lanka. World Food Day-2021 was celebrated on the 30th of December 2021 by the Centre for Sustainable Agriculture and Resource Management (CENSARM) at the Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University, Sri Lanka. Certificates for the first three places in the Poetry competition was awarded to the School students at the World Food Day ceremony.
- Funds were taken from the CENSARM account in 2018 and 2019 for the Broiler Production project
June 2020 – December 2020
- World Food Day was celebrated on 18th of December 2020. Director/CENSARM thanked Dean/Agriculture and Co-ordinators / World Food Day 2020 for their support in this event.
- Essay writing competition was conducted in September 2020 among the A/L school students (2021/2022) in the Batticaloa Educational Zone. The result was informed to their relevant schools. Certificate was awarded to the first three students at the World Food Day celebration.
- Stakeholder meeting with staff in the Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries sectors was organized for identifying needs of the farming communities and other sectors which was held on 22nd of December 2020 via Zoom.
- Action plan for the year 2021-2023 were prepared based on the Discussion with various stakeholders in 2020.
2017 - April 2018
- Workshop on Discussion among Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Sectors with Faculty of Agriculture, EUSL on 30th May 2017
Target group: Stake holders from staff Faculty Agriculture, Department of Agriculture, Department of Animal Production and Health, Department of Fisheries a and Aquaculture and NGOs
- Talk on Nuclear Techniques in Agriculture on 4th October 2017
Target group: All Academic staff, Non academic staff and students
- Talk on Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Problems and Possible Management Strategies for Sri Lanka on 4th October 2017
Target group: All Academic staff, Non academic staff and students
- World Food Day 2017 on 16th October 2017
Target group: Staff Faculty Agriculture, Department of Agriculture, Department of Animal Production and Health, Department of Fisheries, School students and famers
- Seminar on Beekeeping and honey processing to improve crop production and entrepreneur on 17th April 2018
Target group : Farmers
- Seminar on Awareness programme on efficient water management on 25th April 2018
Target group : Agriculture instructors and farmers
CENSARM provided resource person for following training programmed conducted by Department of Agriculture, Battlicaloa on 8th March 2018
- Seminar on Recommending of plant varieties based on the suitable land and environment in the Eastern Province
- Seedling production
- Irrigation methods for Tomato and Brinjal
- Intergraded plant nutrition
- Intergraded pest control in vegetable
- Harvesting and post harvesting Techniques
- Value addition of fruits and vegetables (Income and expenditure)